General News 2019
Upcoming talks at the APS March Meeting 2019, Boston:
- M.A. Gharbi, "Assembly of silica particles at free standing smectic-A films". Monday, 03/04/2019.
- Ch. Kyeremah, "Exploring textures of a nematic liquid crystal for Fourier Phase Contrast Microscopy". Tuesday, 03/05/2019.
- Our undergraduate student Elizabeth George has been selected as the recipient of the Oracle Undergraduate Research Fellowship for Spring 2019 semester. Congratulations!
- Graduate student Edward Lipchus and undergraduate student William Emery joined the Lab. Ed will focus on Liquid Crystal Sensors and Will on the confinement of ordered materials. Welcome!
General News 2018
October 31st, 2018:
- Dr. Gharbi is invited to present his work on "Smectic Flowers" at Tufts University. He will talk about the ability of defects in soft materials direct the assembly of "interesting" objects.
October 5th, 2018:
- Dr. Gharbi is invited to participate at the "Research @ UMB" event. He will highlight his research and the experience with undergraduates in his group.
- Graduate students Charlotte Kyeremah and Ryan Preusse joined the Lab. Charlotte will focus on optical properties of Liquid Crystals and Ryan on the confinement of ordered materials. Welcome!
- Undergraduate student Bassma Bawazeer joined the Lab. Bassma will focus on the directed assembly of nanomaterials in ordered phases. Welcome!
- Our undergraduate students Elizabeth George and Erik Drybread have been selected as the recipients of the Oracle Undergraduate Research Fellowship for Fall 2018 semester. Congratulations!
- Graduate student Himani Pandita joined the lab to work on image processing and data ananlysis. Welcome!
- Undergraduate students Elizabeth George and Erik Drybread joined the lab to work on the assembly of biomaterials. Welcome!
June 2nd, 2018:
- Dr. Gharbi is invited to participate in the Symposium in Honor of Prof. Mark Sutton at McGill University
(Canada). He will talk about the ability of forces in soft matter to direct the assembly of functional nanomaterials.
April 12th, 2018:
- Dr. Gharbi presented his research activities in the Department of Physics at UMass Boston. His talk focused on the "Assembly of Biomaterials in Ordered Fluids."
March 27th, 2018:
- Dr. Gharbi is invited by the Society of Physics Students to present his research activities in his Lab.
Title of the talk: "Imperfections in Soft Matter: A New Tollkit to Direct Assembly of Advanced Materials."
- Godsgift Omere joined the Lab to work on "Big Data Fundamentals". Welcome!
- Dr. Gharbi officially joined the Department of Physics at UMass Boston as an Assistant Professor of Physics.